About Me

My photo
Mississippi, United States
Christ-follwer. Wife. Teacher. Lover of books, photography, crafts.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Settling In

We've been in Connecticut a little over a week. We are enjoying the town of Southington very much. In some ways it reminds me of the South (not temperature wise, mind you), but it reminds me that home is over 1000 miles away. The snow has finally melted, but more is expected to fall this week. I can't help but get excited each time I see just the smallest percentage of snow.

The first order of business after we dropped our fathers off at the airport was to meander to IKEA (of course!). Stefan had never been to one, so I felt that it needed to happen ASAP. We picked out a few pieces of furniture to put some money back to purchase later on this spring/summer. He started work Monday, and is loving every minute of it. These next few weeks will take some getting used to for both of us. Please keep us in your prayers as we adjust to working completely different hours. His hours will vary greatly from mine (4pm-12am with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off of work). Being a production wife can be challenging with changing schedules and hours, (he will say it's true as well) but it's also filled with adventures. Thankfully, I will start my job as a building substitute tomorrow for a local elementary school. This town as 8 elementary schools!! I called this week to ask what time I needed to arrive on Monday. I was told the students come in before 8:20, when the students arrive in the classrooms. Students start school later here, my fellow MS teacher friends, of course, they also don't get out of school until June 13 (they start after Labor Day.

Friday I didn't have anything to do (I have I mentioned how excited I am to have a job now?) so I drove around town looking for some cute little shops to browse. There aren't any. Not one. This town in all its hustle and bustle has not one cute little boutique to its name. There is TJMaxx, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and a few little other franchises. Don't get me wrong, I love all of those stores, but I was looking for local boutique shops. In the surrounding towns there are a few little shops here and there. We are living in Central Connecticut, so we are a short distance from surrounding cities. NYC is 1.5 hours by train, and Boston is about 2 hours by train. We are excited to have new places to explore!

We found a church that we like. A few of the people Stefan worked with during his internship (from the South!) who are now working with ESPN, invited us to a contemporary church in West Hartford. We love it there. The people are friendly and we have enjoyed meeting new people. My mom and dad are coming to visit in a few weeks, and Stefan's parents are coming to visit this summer. We will be ready to see them for sure!

We miss everyone so very much! We miss Starkville and the South, and can't wait to come back to visit in the future!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the blog..but then you know if YOU did it I loved it. Sounds like you are settling in Good luck on your first day at work. Can't wAIT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT IT.
lOVE YOU, mEMAWpretty well. Papaw and I are thinking, (i said thinking) about a trip that way this summer,if you will have room and time to put up with us. Please email me your new address. We have had rain since late this afternoon and it is still at it...temps are down to 34.