About Me

My photo
Mississippi, United States
Christ-follwer. Wife. Teacher. Lover of books, photography, crafts.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Something Old, Something New....

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue". I've heard that phrase often over the past couple of years as I have watched many of my close friends walk down the aisle to marry the "man of their dreams", "the one", "their best friend".

On July 20, 2013 I will be doing the same thing. I will be marrying my best friend. My soul mate. The man who challenges me to be a better Christian. The man who has a big heart, and loves to help people. It feels wonderful to be engaged to such a caring and compassionate man. The Lord brought us together, and for that I am so very thankful.


How We Met
Stefan and I met at First United Methodist Church in Starkville. Our paths crossed often, most of the time on Sunday mornings when we both worked with the Television Media Ministry. He also locks up the church during the week. We would hang out together at the church, and I would accompany him when he locked up. We always had things to talk about.

The first time he asked me on a date, I declined his invitation.
The second time he asked me on a date, I again declined his invitations (I told you guys I wasn't looking to date anyone)
The third time, it was almost a date. We went to eat a late dinner after a church event. When the waiter asked if the checks were together or separate, I immediately said separate.
The fourth time he asked me on a date, I thought to myself "This guy has got to be something special to keep pursing me the way he is". I finally agreed to go on the date.

It's been 2 years, and I'm so thankful I said "yes".

The Proposal
Stefan has always planned wonderful dates. So when he told me that he had a "special date" planned, I didn't think anything of it. (Looking back on it now, it did seem strange that he wanted to have a date on Sunday.)

He was a little late coming back from work, and I had been waiting a while. I was not very happy about him running late. He told me that he had to stop by the Mississippi State University Stadium (his work) to get something from his boss. I wasn't happy about that either. He drove us to the stadium, and asked me to come with him. (At this point I should mention that it was raining, and had been raining all day.) I told him I wasn't getting out of the car, but he eventually convinced me it would only take a few minutes. 

Reluctantly I left the car and walked into Davis Wade Stadium with him. The video board in the stadium was flashing the Mississippi State graphic (I still had NO idea at this point). Stefan called his boss and said "I can check that graphic now".  The graphic flashed up and this is what it said:



At this point he was down on one knee with this GORGEOUS ring (that he picked out himself). When I looked at it I cried, y'all! CRIED! To the point where all I could do was nod my head yes. He had to confirm that it was a yes. It was perfect. The rain made it that much more prefect. My family was there, my best friend and her husband were there, our good friends (who happen to be our photographer & videographer, and who also captured the proposal), my future mother & father-in-law as well as one of my sister & brother-in-laws (I'll have 2!!!!) It was perfect. Even now, as I type this, I have a grin on my face remembering it all. 

I'm so excited to be a bride! I'm even more excited to be marrying the man of my dreams, my best friend, my forever.

Some after pictures of the proposal:

Seriously a mess. Mascara running, hair wet (you would have never known I had curled it just for our date!)

My wonderful mom & dad! My sister was home from Oregon for Christmas!! She was able to celebrate with us.

Much better picture of us! We were all dry...finally. This is a picture of me (on the right) my future sister-in-law (Shannah), Stefan (my FIANCE), and my future brother-in-law (Rob). (My other sister & brother-in-law weren't able to make it there for the proposal.)

I should be in bed by now.....off I go! More wedding posts to come soon!!

No comments: